Thursday, September 27, 2007

It has been an adventurous fortnight for Trivia G here, especially in the vehicles department. Well, at least now I know that Bruce is capable of taking care of itself, whenever I am not around, and that it gets cranky (literally) when I do not drive it for more than a week!

Ok, back to Beijing. Today, lets go to the summer crib of emperors of the yore, and see a bridge with many lions...


But first, let me introduce you to Beijing's infamous traffic...I spent alot of time in the bus, to the extent that I managed to master a game on my mobile phone, during the 7 short days I was touring...



A lakeside view of the Summer Palace. The cool breeze of the lake was a welcomed reprieve from the sweltering Beijing heat. It is a HUGE structure, and it spans the lake, the palace on top of the hill, and some more gardens to the left of the lake (picture below)!!




and this....





The Nanjing Bridge where the Nanjing Massacre took place. I guess they did not know how to build draw bridges, as the enemy used this bridge to enter into Beijing and (I think) conquer it. It is also known as the Marco Polo Bridge, because....the famous explorer rode his horse through here and deigns the scenery of the bridge to be the most beautiful he has seen...Each of the lions/mythical-creatures-that-look-like-lions here are different from one another. K the tour leader asked us to count the number of lions, and answers ranged in the 100's. It was kinda fun seeing the Uncles in my group trying to count the lions - one needs to walk the bridge twice because there are lions on both sides, and its kinda confusing to try to count both sides at once...





....And here's the scene.... err.. yes, it is a bridge across a field.... because the river that used to flow through it ceased to do so because of a dam upstream....Still a sight to behold, no?

The path on the bridge itself was re-surfaced, leaving a small part in the middle of the bridge which is made of the original stones - it was well-worn and very uneven to walk on, unless you really want to sprain your ankle(s)!

No comments: